ENCLOSED AUTO TRANSPORT
If Open auto transport carriers are the backbone of the car shipping industry today, then enclosed carriers are definitely the upper echelon of transporters.
Enclosed carriers function differently than open carriers, though the job they do is the same – they transport cars. Enclosed carriers, if you haven’t guessed by now, completely enclose the vehicles they ship in a protective transport container that prevents them from being exposed to rain, sleet, snow, ice and hail, as well as road debris such as rocks that get kicked up from other motorists on the road and the like.
We generally recommend enclosed transportation services for anyone that is looking to transport a vehicle that is rather valuable. This can include newer luxury cars, exotic vehicles, sports cars, restored classic vehicles – anything where the value is either depreciating or so high that you don’t want to risk damaging it and having it lose a ton of value all at once. Most vehicles will not need enclosed transport services, as most vehicles depreciate in value and are meant to depreciate in value the more they are used.
Enclosed transport services are also more expensive than open shipping; this is because there are fewer enclosed transport trucks on the road, and they specialize in hauling only a small portion of the vehicles that are shipped every day. With a smaller customer base and less demand, there is not nearly as much room for enclosed carriers to operate in the auto transport industry than there is for open shippers, which means that they must charge more per-mile and per-vehicle than their open counterparts.
ENCLOSED CAR SHIPPING
Enclosed transportation generally comes with bigger pickup windows as opposed to open carriers. Your pickup window, in a nutshell, is how long it will take from the time you book your order until we find a carrier to transport your vehicle. This pickup window generally is 3-5 days for most vehicles that are to be shipped on an open carrier; enclosed transportation pickup can take anywhere from a week to ten days, on average. This is also because there are fewer enclosed carriers on the road and they service fewer routes, on average.
If you’re searching for enclosed transportation services for your vehicle, we here at Mercury Auto Transport are here to help. You can fill out our free online quote request form and get a free quote calculated by one of our reliable and accurate auto transport representatives, or you can call us directly at 800-553-1828 to speak to one of our agents yourself. They can answer your questions, calculate a free auto transport quote for you right over the phone as well as book your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does enclosed transport cost?
- Enclosed costs anywhere from 30% to 65% more than the cost of shipping with an open trailer and for good reason.
- Enclosed transport trucks can hold anywhere from 1 to 8 vehicles. 7- 8 Car enclosed trailers are “Soft Enclosed” and 1-6 car trailers are hardside enclosed.
- These trucks are designed to keep your vehicle free from the elements.
- Enclosed Transport Trailers are typically used for high value vehicles, custom sports cars and anything you don’t want to expose to the open road. It keeps your vehicle protected for the rain, ice and other elements that can dirty or damage your vehicle.
- How much does enclosed transport cost per mile?
- On average, from 0 to 1,000 miles it’s $1.00 to $1.25 per mile with a $400 minimum to the carrier.
- 1,000 to 2,000 miles it’s approximately $.80 to $1.00 per mile.
- 2,000 miles or more it’s approximately $.65 to $.80 per mile.
- These rates are subject to change depending on season and availability.
- Please contact us today for a free Enclosed Transport Quote, (800) 553-1828 or fill out our quote form and receive your quote within minutes.
CAR SHIPPING OPTIONS
OPEN AUTO TRANSPORT
Open auto transport carriers are considered the standard carrier in the industry today.
ENCLOSED AUTO TRANSPORT
Enclosed auto transport carriers are not as readily available as open carriers but…
WE DELIVER SATISFACTION
CARS SHIPPED SINCE 2007!READ MORE TESTIMONIALS
OUR TRUSTED VEHICLE SHIPPING PARTNERS
HOW AUTO SHIPPING WORKS
REQUEST A QUOTE
First, we post your vehicle through our network, including all National Dispatch Boards for Auto Transport. This is where all licensed auto transport carriers can see your vehicle is available for shipping.
BOOK YOUR ORDER
We present offers from FMCSA Licensed and Insured Carriers. When you accept an offer, we send your service agreement that guarantees the price, door-to-door service and 100% bumper to bumper insurance. There are never any hidden fees or charges, guaranteed.
VEHICLE IS PICKED UP
Not until you approve your carrier and final logistics is your deposit due. Your deposit is included in your quote and goes toward the total price. The remaining balance is due at time of delivery. Nothing gets done without your approval.
VEHICLE IS DELIVERED
Your driver will contact you prior to your pickup and delivery dates to schedule a time for loading and unloading. Once your vehicle reaches its destination, you do a final inspection of your vehicle and pay the driver the remaining balance. You and the driver both sign the Bill of Lading and each keep a copy.